Monday, August 15, 2011

An Unrefined Delivery System


                Loud , blunt, and untactful.  If you were to ask me how to describe myself in 3 words, these are the words I would choose.  In my defense, it’s really a family trait.  Every time my father’s side of the family reunites for Christmas, they seem to talk over each other and speak a little too honestly.  It has its moments of annoyance, along with a nostalgia I know I would miss if it weren’t there, but I’ve found a blessing within it.  A few years ago, I was sitting at Charles’ Stanley’s church, listening to a series on spiritual gifts, when I discovered that I’m an exhorter (to admonish urgently), or at least I believe I am.  When it comes down to it, when can we ever truly know or understand God’s workings in us?  Point being, what better way to exhort than without the constraints of political correctness and social standards?  Okay, so sometimes I overstep my boundaries (like when friends of mine get bad haircuts), but I always mean well (they were really bad haircuts, and I felt they needed to know).  I say all this to warn whatever readers I may have or gain, that I’m a little opinionated, a little sarcastic, and it all comes a little too naturally. J
                I want this blog to be mostly about my commentary on things that I’m reading and studying – both academically and personally, but, seeing as I’ll be leaving the country in two weeks, it seemed appropriate that I also comment on my travels around Israel for the next 10 months.  For example, I just started reading David Platt’s Radical.  I’m only a chapter in, but I am already in love with this book.  The way he describes the American church and American Christians is so truthful that it’s almost painful.
                The first illustration he gives his readers is the difference between the underground churches in Asia versus the American church.  I’ve known for some time that having a Christian church in Asia isn’t the easiest, but I never thought to what extent they are being persecuted.  But to read Platt write about church leaders traveling long distances, at different times of the day (so as to look less suspicious), meeting in a dimly lit room that is headed by a body guard, just so they can fall to their knees, sobbing, thanking God and asking Him for strength through torture and blackmail, is nothing short of heart breaking.  Only for Platt to come home to America and pastor one of the fastest growing churches in America, and to sit in a sanctuary with stage lights and a music band.  I’m not saying we’re wrong.  We’re just exercising our rights in the free country we live in.  What I’m saying is wrong, is our attitude of entitlement.  I don’t think this is true for everyone, because if it was then we wouldn’t have so many missionaries or charities.  But I think the majority of people live by the attitude of “out of sight, out of mind”.  We hear about the strife in other countries and we see commercials asking for help, but when it comes down to it – do we really care?  Aren’t we comfortable in our cushy houses?  Aren’t we comfortable with only tithing our 10% (which hardly affects most of us)?  How arrogant are we, when we are so at ease with our life that we can happily argue about what music is played, what version of the Bible is allowed, and will there be pastries and coffee after the service?  I mean, really people?  When it comes down to it does it really matter?  No!  When we start arguing about such trivial matters, it just shows that we want church to be all about us.  Imagine if Christians went to church focused on God.  I doubt there would need to be a church on every corner of the street (if you’re from the south, then you know exactly what I mean).  Even more, I doubt we would have half as many people saying that they don’t have a problem with God but the church instead, because when you’re focused on worshipping God then you have a lot less time to worry about yourself and you start loving people instead (which is what we’re called to do in the first place!). 
                Okay, so if you made it through that last paragraph, then you just successfully made it through your first mini-rant.  I have at least 2 more from this first chapter, but I’ve been advised to keep entries short.  It’s likely I won’t finish another chapter tomorrow, so this will leave more for other days.  I don’t know what days I’ll be updating, so don’t expect any continuity to this, yet.  I’m going to shoot for a few times a week, but we’ll see. 

(Sign: A funny catch phrase that I have yet to create.)

No comments:

Post a Comment